Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Lake Owen 2009
We just returned from our 4th trip to Camp Lake Owen. The first two years Morgan just went and we stayed in cabins nearby with Madeline and Meg. The second year Grandma even joined us for part of the week and we visited Morgan at camp throughout the week. Last year Grandma came to stay with Meg for the week and both Chuck and I went with Morgan and Madeline and worked at the camp. Chuck as a boys counselor and I as the camp nurse. This year Meg was invited to come even though she was under the age limit. She did great the whole week, only had one night of "Mommy, I'm tired", which was Thur. night. She sat on my lap most of practice and even fell asleep. I can't blame her. She is used to having one hour of gymnastics a week. Last week she had 20 hours in the gym, that's not including all the fun play time outside of the gym. It's non-stop all day long. I was very proud of her making it through the week. We had an eventful week. It rained from the moment we drove into Wisconsin and continued for the first 5 days of camp. We were not prepared for this. We have never gone before during the first session of camp. It never got above 40 degrees. The girls still had a blast, soaked clothes and all! Chelsea Memmel was the famous gymnast for the week. Our gym took 34 gymnasts so this qualified us for VIP perks. We got 1. VIP t-shirts 2. a private signing/picture party with Chelsea (which are the pictures of her in the red sweatshirt)3. Our girls also get their picture in the brochure for next year( which will be the picture of all the girls in the foam pit)& 4. a VIP dinner on the beach which was yummy fondue and games (you see how well Meg "Limbo's"- not her strong est event. They also had a drawing with all the girls at the camp and the winner got to have Chelsea come to their cabin one evening and read to her, have question/answers and tuck her into bed, which Madeline won! Chelsea even gave her a stuffed bunny rabbit. I absolutely lucked out and got partnered with another nurse which I loved! Her name was Michele and that is her sitting with me underneath the Lake Owen sign. She is someone I hope to keep in touch with for years to come. We had a very busy week with a ton of kids on meds, a broken wrist, 1 tick removal, a sleep-walker kid who the whole camp was looking for, and lets just say, by the end of the week neither one of us wanted to hear "can I have a band-aid?", "can I have motrin?", or "I need cough drops" again!!!. Bottom center picture in Morgan with her favorite coach Kari Lords, who is a coach at Southern Utah University. She is also LDS, and we love her! She has been there every year we've gone to Lake Owen. We were very lucky to get to see her this year, the first session is the only one she is going to this year because she is getting married Aug. 1. Chuck celebrated his 38th B-Day at camp. Not exactly a day at the spa, but he was a trooper as the same. He had a pretty good group of boys(some of those boys can be let's just say rebellious, and mouthy!) About 75% of the camp is girls gymnasts and 25% is skate board guys (with those big ramps and things they do tricks on). It was Thur. when the rain stopped and we got a little sun and were able to play at the waterfront on the toys. Chuck and Morgan also got to do the ropes course, and Madeline, Meg, and I had our turn on the bungee tramp. All in all another fun week at camp!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment